Types of Aid

WCC offers many types of financial aid programs to help meet our students’ educationally-related financial needs.

Additional information about types of Federal financial aid, visit Federal Student Aid’s Types of Aid.
Additional information about other types of financial aid, visit icanaffordcollege.com.

AmeriCorps members serve more than 3,000 nonprofit institutions, public agencies, faith-based and other community organizations to help meet critical needs in education, public safety, health and the environment. The variety of service opportunities is almost unlimited. Members may tutor and mentor youth, build affordable housing, teach computer skills, clean parks and streams, run after-school programs, or help communities respond to disasters.
Upon completion of their service, AmeriCorps members may earn an AmeriCorps Education Award to help finance their education.
What is AmeriCorps?

Back to Top


California College Promise Grant (CCPG)formerly known as Board of Governors’ Fee Waiver (BOG)

Beginning the 2018/2019 aid year, the Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOG) will be called the California College Promise Grant.

The California College Promise Grant is a state sponsored program which waives enrollment fees for qualifying students. The California College Promise Grant is available specifically for students at California community colleges. The California College Promise Grant will waive your per-unit enrollment fee (currently $46) at any community college throughout the state. To determine eligibility, students must complete a CC Promise Grant Application or must have applied for financial aid through the FAFSA or CADAA.

CC Promise Grant Applications are available here:

Back to Top

Cal Grant B and C
Cal Grants are one of the smartest ways to get cash for college. For starters, it’s money you don’t have to pay back. If you are a graduating high school senior or recent graduate who meets academic and financial eligibility requirements, submit FAFSA and GPA Verification Form by March 2 or September 2 to be able to receive a Cal Grant.
Students who have already completed 24 degree applicable or 24 transferable college units at YCCD will have their GPA automatically submitted to the California Student Aid Commission.

How to Apply. Submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and submit GPA Verification Form for the March 2 or September 2 deadline. If you meet the income, eligibility, and GPA requirements, the cash is yours.

Cal Grant B Entitlement awards provide first-year, low-income students with an allowance of up to $1,672 for educational-related books and living expenses. If you transfer to a four-year college or university, Cal Grant B also helps pay tuition and fees in the same amount as a Cal Grant A, in addition to the approximately $1,672 living allowance.  For a Cal Grant B, your coursework must be for at least one academic year.

Cal Grant C awards help pay for tuition and training costs for occupational, technical, or vocational programs. This $547 award is for books, tools and equipment. You may also receive up to an additional $2,462 for tuition at a school other than a California community college. To qualify, you must enroll in a vocational program that is at least four months long at a California community college, private college, or a career technical school. Funding is available for up to two years, depending on the length of your program.

Back to Top

Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG)
With the Student Success Completion Grant, you could get up to $4,000 per year to help take more classes, ensuring you stay on track to graduate and get your degree faster. The more classes you take, the more money you’re eligible to receive. If you are a full-time student and a full-time Cal Grant B or C recipient, the Student Success Completion Grant will provide an additional $1,298 (if you’re attending 12-14 units per semester) or up to $4,000 (if you’re attending 15+ units per semester) annually. That’s on top of the annual Cal Grant awards you’re eligible to receive! So, you’ll want to take at least 15 units per semester to receive the most money.

Just complete the FAFSA or theCalifornia Dream Act Application (CADAA) and your financial aid office will determine your eligibility and automatically award this grant. The FAFSA form and CADAA are available beginning on October 1 each year. Be sure to complete the forms as soon as possible (but no later than the March 2 Cal Grant deadline) to receive the most aid possible.

Having a plan is key to your educational success. Remember that full-time attendance is 12 units per term. However, to earn an associate’s degree in two years and earn up to $4,000, you will need to take at least 15 units per term, which can seem like a lot. But don’t be discouraged! Your college counselor is there for you, and will help you set up an education plan, which outlines the classes you need and your path to success.

Back to Top

Chafee Grant
If you are or were in foster care and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for career and technical training for college. You don’t have to pay this money back. You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for child care, transportation and living expenses while you’re in school. You can use your Chafee Grant at any eligible California college or university, career or technical school, as well as schools in other states.

To qualify, you must be a current or former foster youth and not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1 of the award year. The California Department of Social Services will determine your foster youth eligibility status.
For more information click here.

Back to Top


Federal Work Study
Under the FWS Program, you can work part-time to earn money for your education.
The FWS Program:

  • provides part-time employment while you are enrolled in school
  • helps pay your educational expenses
  • is available to undergraduate and graduate students
  • is administered by schools participating in the FWS Program
  • encourages community service work and work related to your course of study, whenever possible

Back to Top

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

  • Must complete FAFSA.
  • FSEOGs are awarded to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need- those with the lowest Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as determined by Department of Education.
  • Federal Pell Grant recipients receive priority for FSEOG awards.
  • FSEOG awards range from $100 to $4,000 a year. The amount of the award is determined by your school’s financial aid office.

Back to Top

Pell Grant

Federal Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or a professional degree. (In some cases, however, a student enrolled in a postbaccalaureate teacher certification program might receive a Federal Pell Grant.) You are not eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant if you are incarcerated in a federal or state penal institution or are subject to an involuntary civil commitment upon completion of a period of incarceration for a forcible or nonforcible sexual offense.

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid, except under certain circumstances. Find out why you might have to repay all or part of a federal grant.

How to Apply: You should start by submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form. You will have to fill out the FAFSA form every year you’re in school in order to stay eligible for federal student aid.

Award amounts can change yearly. For the 2018-19 award year (July 1, 2018, to June 30, 2019), the maximum Federal Pell Grant award is $6,095. The amount you get, though, will depend on

  • your financial need,
  • your cost of attendance,
  • your status as a full-time or part-time student, and
  • your plans to attend school for a full academic year or less.

In certain situations, an eligible student can receive up to 150 percent of his or her scheduled Pell Grant award for an award year. For details, contact the Financial Aid Office.

You may not receive Federal Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time.

Please note that you can receive the Federal Pell Grant for no more than 12 semesters or the equivalent (roughly six years). You’ll receive a notice if you’re getting close to your limit. If you have any questions, contact your financial aid office.

What should I do to maintain the grant?

In general, you must maintain enrollment in an undergraduate course of study at a nonforeign school to receive a Federal Pell Grant. Additionally, you will have to fill out the FAFSA form every year you’re in school in order to stay eligible for federal student aid.

Once you have earned a baccalaureate degree or your first professional degree, or have used up all 12 semesters of your eligibility, you are no longer eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant.

Learn more about staying eligible for federal student aid while you’re in school.

Back to Top

Scholarships are forms of aid that help students pay for their education. Unlike student loans, scholarships for college are financial gifts and therefore do not need to be paid back. The best source of scholarship information is contained on the internet through a variety of scholarship directory sites.
The YCCD and the WCC Foundation’s scholarships are provided by the college, alumni, and private donors, and are awarded on the basis of academic excellence and promise of future achievement. Financial need is a factor for some awards, but not for all. Additionally, students who have acquired particular skills may be awarded for their talents.

Click here for WCC scholarship information.
Back to Top

Student Loans

WCC student loan processing is suspended as of the 2013-2014 award year. New student loans will not be certified for students attending WCC as of the 2013-2014 award year, until further notice.


Effective in the fall of 2013, the Yuba Community College District including Yuba College and Woodland Community College, will suspend the Federal Student Loan Program. The U.S. Department of Education’s policy would be to revoke a college’s ability to participate in any Federal Financial Aid program, including Pell Grants, FSEOG and Federal Work Study, because of excessive default rates. The decision by the College and its Board of Trustees to suspend the Federal Student Loan Program was made in an effort to protect the availability of future Federal Financial Aid. The Board of Trustees has formed a Committee to assess its decision through data analysis for future years.

The Board’s action to suspend Federal Student Loans will protect all Federal student aid, including Pell Grant, meaning that eligible students will still be able to receive all Federal Grants as well as State Cal Grants.